Westerfield: Delays after car hits crossing barriers
RAIL passengers faced delays on the line between Ipswich and Felixstowe this afternoon after a car crashed into the safety barrier at a level crossing.
The accident happened at about 2.30pm near Westerfield and the crossing was taken out of use and the line was blocked.
A Suffolk Police Spokesman said: “We were contacted shortly after 2.30pm with reports that a vehicle had struck the crossing barriers in Westerfield Road, Westerfield Railway Station.
“Officers arrived and found a Vauxhall Corsa had been involved in the crash. The driver is being treated by paramedics for minor injuries.
“British Transport Police (BTP) will be dealing with the incident from now on.”
You may also want to watch:
A BTP spokesman said confirmed that its officers had attended the incident.
Although some services were delayed and at least one afternoon train from Felixstowe to Ipswich was cancelled, the line was back in action by 4pm and the crossing has now been repaired.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
For more information on service disruption contact Network Rail on 020 3356 9164.
Anyone with information about the incident should contact BTP on 0800 40 50 40.