Wetherspoon announces £1.3m Dovercourt investment plans which could create 50 jobs
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
Pub giant JD Wetherspoon has announced plans to open a new site in Dovercourt in a £1.3million investment.
The chain has completed the purchase of a former Co-Op at 60 Kingsway in the town.
No firm date has been set for opening of the new pub, which would also require planning and licensing permission from Tendring District Council.
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “We are pleased to have purchased a site in Dovercourt.
“We believe that a Wetherspoon pub will be a great asset to the town and also act as a catalyst for investment from other businesses.
You may also want to watch:
“We would invest more than £1.3m on the pub and create approximately 50 jobs.
“We will await the outcome of planning and licensing.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 8 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 9 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 10 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
Dave McLeod, Harwich mayor, said: “It will be a major attraction to our town centre.
“We have had our problems in the past, what town hasn’t, and this will be a great boost.
“Things are happening in Harwich and Dovercourt, it is a good place to live and we are expanding. Harwich has got a future.
“I say to Wetherspoons ‘Come aboard’ and give them a massive welcome, and thanks for trusting in our future.
“Up to 50 jobs is fantastic news, especially for those people who have to travel out of town to get jobs.
“It is a definite positive for the town, and I am sure they will do an excellent job on refurbishing the building.
“I look forward to seeing their plans and can’t wait to see it finished.”