When is the next bank holiday?
- Credit: Archant
After the two bank holidays in May, when can you next look forward to a three-day weekend?
If you are eager for another extra day off work, the bad news is that you will have to wait until August 27 for the next long weekend.
This holiday always falls on the last Monday in August in England. It is our last bank holiday of the year before Christmas, so everyone will be hoping for good weather to make the most of the day, perhaps with a mini-break or a family barbecue.
Traditionally, the August bank holiday used to be celebrated on the first Monday of the month across the UK, but the date was moved to the last Monday in the month as an experiment in 1965.
The change was then made permanent in 1971, helping to extend the summer holiday season. Only Scotland kept the original date.
You may also want to watch:
Last year’s August bank holiday was the hottest on record since the date changed, with temperatures soaring to a sweltering 28.2C (82.2F) in Holbeach, Lincolnshire.
The previous record was set in Suffolk - 27.2C (81F), recorded in East Bergholt in 1984.
- 1 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 5 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 6 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 7 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 8 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base