Why Colchester is bingo barmy
By Sharon AsplinIF you're feeling lucky, then go and play a game of bingo in Colchester.For the Essex town has been named the fourth luckiest town in Britain in the National Bingo Game's annual survey.
By Sharon Asplin
IF you're feeling lucky, then go and play a game of bingo in Colchester.
For the Essex town has been named the fourth luckiest town in Britain in the National Bingo Game's annual survey.
Stirling was hailed as Britain's luckiest town after landing six huge bingo wins at just one club - a staggering £471,266 over the past 12 months.
You may also want to watch:
In Colchester, punters at the Gala Club in Osborne Street scooped four big wins - a grand total of £391,800.
A spokeswoman for the club said: “We are thrilled to be one of the luckiest bingo towns in the country.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 8 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 9 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
- 10 Bill Turnbull announces leave from Classic FM show for health reasons
“Our members reap the rewards of big and frequent wins - in fact eight out of 10 Gala Bingo members have won in the last three months. With odds like these, it's easy to see why Colchester is barmy about bingo.”
The National Bingo Game Association calculated the top 10 luckiest towns on the number of National Game winners over £10,000 in relation to the number of bingo clubs in the town.
Steve Baldwin, association spokesman, said: “We have had 514 big winners over the past 12 months and they pocketed a whopping £41million between them.
“Bingo has a huge following in Scotland and so we're delighted to see how many wins the Scots have received.
“The great thing about the National Game is that it appeals to anyone and everyone over the age of 18.
“Bingo guarantees a winner on every game with no rollover and the odds of winning are some of the best of any gaming activity.”
In England, it seems northerners are once again much luckier than their southern counterparts in the bingo stakes - the biggest cash prize actually went to a player in the seaside town of Blackpool, who took home £501,022 during one of the National Bingo Game's special £500,000 games.
Britain's unluckiest town is also in Scotland, with East Kilbride only having one win of £5,554.
TOP TEN LUCKIEST TOWNS
Town Number of wins Total winnings
1. Stirling 6 wins at 1 club £471,266
2. Coatbridge 6 wins at 1 club £411,185
3. Northampton 5 wins at 1 club £508,362
4. Colchester 4 wins at 1 club £391,800
5. Luton 4 wins at 1 club £383,218
6. Swindon 4 wins at 1 club £311,528
7. Peterborough 4 wins at 1 club £285,461
8. Doncaster 4 wins at 1 club £283,998
9. Mansfield 4 wins at 1 club £241,830
10. Coventry 10 wins at 3 clubs £965,752