Wickham Market’s monthly market to take on a Christmas theme
- Credit: Archant
A monthly market in Suffolk, which has grown in popularity since its formation last summer, will be taking on a festive theme for its next outing.
Wickham Market Town Team will be holding its first Christmas market on The Hill in the village centre tomorrow, when the regular traders will be joined by a range of festive stalls offering arts, crafts and gift ideas. The extended market, which will run from 9.30pm to 4.30pm is expected to feature twice the number of stalls that regularly attend the monthly events. There will also be performances from a local choir and the children from Wickham Market Primary School will be singing carols around the Christmas tree at 2pm.
Father Christmas will be spreading some festive cheer and there will be warm mince pies served alongside other yuletide treats.
Town Team chairman Colin Owens said the Christmas market was hoped to create a “festive atmosphere” for the village and its visitors.
It comes 18 months after the Town Team reinstated the monthly markets years after their demise many years ago as part of its plans to support the village’s economy and improve footfall. Mr Owens said: “It had a mixed success to begin with but over recent months it’s grown to become really popular.”
You may also want to watch:
The markets’ growing popularity has encouraged the Town Team to organise tomorrow’s Christmas event and also to expand its programme of markets next year.
Mr Owens said the Town Team had agreed to hold markets on the first Wednesday of the month in addition to the third Wednesday when it is traditionally been held.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 10 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?