Wilkin & Sons confirm it is abandoning new Tiptree factory plans
- Credit: Archant
Jam makers Wilkin & Sons has today confirmed it will not be going ahead with plans for a new factory in Tiptree.
The firm announced last week it had suspended the plans for a two-phase new factory, funded by 244 homes, in the village.
Last Friday it said it would make a firm decision within a week, and today the company confirmed all work would stop once the current road improvement works were completed.
The business said it was a huge disappointment after the five years of planning, a view shared by Tiptree Parish Council, but the company was looking forward to the future with confidence.
Ian Thurgood, joint managing director, said: “The next step will be to determine how we can continue developing our business without the significant advantages of the new building.
“The staff have been reassured there will be no job losses, and the jam manufacturing and fruit growing parts of the business will remain very firmly in Tiptree.”