Will more Covid testing sites be coming to Suffolk?
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk will have to wait and see if it will be home to new testing sites as the government announces plans to open more centres across the country.
Downing Street has confirmed that a further 260 new testing centres will open to allow workers in critical industries to avoid having to self-isolate if they come into close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid.
People will be able to visit the sites each day before work to be tested for Covid.
A spokesman for the Prime Minister said: “We now have over 260 of these sites providing testing and we are in the process of establishing 800 further.
“Following them, we will then establish the remaining 1,200 over the coming days.
You may also want to watch:
“As we said when we set this out, our intention is to get these up and running as quickly as possible so we can ensure industries that provide the critical service they provide can continue to do so.”
It is not yet clear if any new testing centres will open in Suffolk, with more information being announced over the coming days.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
Where can you get tested in Suffolk?
There are two walk-through testing sites in Suffolk that are open between 8am-8pm everyday.
- Ipswich - Portman Road car park
- Lowestoft - Belvedere Road car park
Testing appointments can be booked by visiting the government website or calling the NHS on 119.
There are also a number of mobile testing units throughout the county which can be located at:
- Beccles - Beccles Hospital, every Saturday
- Bury St Edmunds - Disused recycling centre, Rougham Hill, Tuesdays and Fridays
- Eye - Hartismere Hospital, Wednesdays and Sundays
- Framlingham - Framlingham College Leisure Centre, College Road, every Sunday
- Halesworth - North Suffolk Skills centre, every Saturday
- Haverhill - Meadows car park, Ehringshausen, Mondays and Thursdays
- Ipswich - Wharf car park, University of Suffolk, Mondays and Friday
- Leiston - Leiston leisure centre, every Thursday
- Lowestoft - Dipp Farm playing fields, Corton Road, Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays
- Sudbury - Great Cornard sports centre, Head Lane, Wednesdays and Saturdays