Aggravated burglary suspect released from custody by accident

PUBLISHED: 05:30 16 July 2020 | UPDATED: 12:57 23 July 2020

Prison chiefs said incidents of its kind were rare  Picture: ANGELA SHARPE

Prison chiefs said incidents of its kind were rare Picture: ANGELA SHARPE

Archant © 2009

An Ipswich man remanded in custody to appear in court charged with aggravated burglary was accidentally released back into the community.

William Hutchinson is among three men due to face trial later this year after denying aggravated burglary at an address in Ipswich last month.

Hutchinson, 47, of Norwich Road, had been remanded in custody at Norwich prison alongside Daniel Tovey, 35, of Marigold Avenue, Ipswich, and Glynn Davis, 36, of Springhurst Close, Ipswich.

All three men appeared on video link from the prison for a plea and trial preparation hearing at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday.

During the course of the hearing, it was revealed that Hutchinson had been mistakenly released from Norwich prison before being picked up and returned when the error was identified.

It is understood Hutchinson’s accidental release was discovered when his legal representatives used the Prisoner Location Service to arrange a conference ahead of Monday’s hearing.

Prison chiefs said incidents of its kind were rare, but that each would be taken seriously and thoroughly investigated for any knowledge that may help prevent another release in error.

It is understood the defendant was returned to the prison within a week.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: “Incidents like this are rare but we take each one extremely seriously and work closely with police to bring offenders back into custody quickly.”

Hutchinson, Tovey and Davis are accused of aggravated burglary while in possession of a knife at an address in Neath Drive, near Bourne Park.

The offence is alleged to have taken place during the early hours of Saturday, June 13.

At the conclusion of Monday’s hearing, Judge Emma Peters set a date for a five-day trial to begin on December 14.

All three defendants were further remanded in custody.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times