Wissett: Thatched home badly damaged in blaze
A PICTURESQUE thatched home in Suffolk has been severely damaged by fire.
Around 50 firefighters tackled the fierce blaze which broke out just before 8.45pm on Tuesday night at a property in Wissett Road, between Chediston and Wissett.
When crews first arrived around half the roof was well alight, and as they tackled the flames firefighters tried to salvage items from inside the home.
However, the fire took hold and the entire thatch was eventually destroyed, with around half the first floor also badly damaged. Fire officers said “drop fires” also started on the ground floor.
Steve Mableson, Waveney station manager, said there were around eight fire crews called to the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking from the scene, he said: “It has burnt through to the first floor and we are hoping to stop it at that level.
“There has been a significant amount of damage to the building. We are working extremely hard and will be here into the early hours using breathing apparatus, various ladders and obtaining water from local ponds.”
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 8 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
- 9 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 10 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
He added: “There was very difficult access to the property and the road has been closed.”
The family who live at the house were believed to be at the scene and extremely shaken and upset.
Mr Mableson said it was too early to say what had caused the fire, and an investigation would be held.
He said anybody with a thatched roof who wanted safety advice could call the fire service’s community safety department.