Witham: Are aliens responsible for offensive ‘crop circle’ design off Allectus Way?
- Credit: AP
Aliens, freak weather storms and archaeological remains have all been blamed for the mysterious phenomena of crop circles.
But police hope they will crack at least one case after a crew from the Suffolk branch of the National Police Air Service saw a “circle” in a field near Witham.
The crew, who were returning to their Wattisham base after a call out regarding a concern for welfare on Monday, took to Twitter to say “All in order but did see some interesting crop circles!”
Although some crop circles, or crop formations, consist of complex shapes and up to 2,000 different elements, a spokeswoman for Suffolk police said the design spotted by the helicopter crew in Essex was made up of a single offensive shape.
The sighting was passed on to officers on the ground who then investigated the circle.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Essex Police said: “The police helicopter was flying over Witham on Monday, July 7 shortly before 9.30pm and observed a group of youths on Allectus Way, surrounding a crop circle.
“Police on the ground spoke to the youths.”
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 3 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 4 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 5 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 6 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 9 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 10 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
She added: “No criminal offences were observed. Enquiries continue.”
The incident is not the first case of crop circles in the region with reports in both Suffolk and Essex, mostly near roads and residential areas.
At the peak of the crop-circle phenomena during the late 1990s and early 2000s, five huge crop circles appeared in a field of wheat close to the Copdock Mill interchange, with the largest circle measuring 35 metres across.
Anyone with information about the circles near Witham should contact Essex Police on 101.