Witham: Burglary victim, 80, died of ‘natural causes’
AN 80-year-old who died after his home was broken into passed away from natural causes, a post mortem has shown.
Detectives are no longer treating the death as suspicious but continue to investigate the burglary, which happened in Witham on Thursday.
The man was found dead at his home in Cressing Road on Friday morning, about 15 hours after the break-in.
A spokesman for Essex Police said today a post mortem showed the man had died from natural causes.
Officers were called to his address at 8.30pm on Thursday after the man reported that two men had taken his wallet containing about �250 cash and bank cards after tricking their way into his home.
You may also want to watch:
The man reported how a caller had knocked on his front door and asked if he could search the back garden for his missing dog.
While the victim was distracted it is believed that a second man entered his home and searched rooms.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 4 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 7 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 8 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 9 Town set to learn Carabao Cup and Papa John's Trophy opponents
- 10 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
A few minutes later both men spoke to the victim and referred to needing change.
When he produced his wallet it was taken from him and the men ran off along Cressing Road, towards Morrisons supermarket.
One of the men was described as white, about 5ft 9in tall, of slim build and aged in his 30s. He had short dark hair and was wearing a dark jacket with a collar.
The second man was also described as white, 5ft 9in and in his 30s. He was wearing a light red or pink baseball hat.
The investigation is now being led by DI Richard Thomas and anyone with information should contact his team at Chelmsford police station on 0300 333 4444.
DI Thomas said: “This is a despicable crime by two men on a vulnerable 80 year-old man. If anyone knows the men involved or has any information about them they should contact us immediately or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”