Witham: Eight residents escape electrical fire
EIGHT people were evacuated from a retirement home in the early hours of this morning following an electrical fire.
The blaze started in an electricity switching cupboard at Hanover Court in Blackburn Way, Witham, at about 2.25am.
Two fire crews from Witham were sent to the scene and used a pair of dry powder extinguishers and a hose reel jet to put out the flames.
The residents were given treatment at the scene by paramedics after some suffered from smoke inhalation and the property was ventilated with the use of a high-pressure fan.
A Suffolk County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Crews reported that the flat where the fire began was filled with smoke when they arrived at the scene. Firefighting operations were hindered while crews waited for the Electricity Board to isolate supply to the property.”
You may also want to watch:
The incident was over by 4.38am.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches