Witham: Schools pilot apprenticeship scheme for teachers
- Credit: Contributed
Four schools in north Essex are piloting one of the country’s first apprenticeship programmes aimed at the teaching profession.
The scheme has been developed to offer school-leavers an alternative path into a teaching career and is aimed at young people who have good teaching potential but for whom a more practical approach is preferred.
The schools involved – Powers Hall Academy in Witham, Lyons Hall Primary School in Braintree, Kelvedon St Mary’s and Engaines Primary School in Clacton – have taken on six apprentices between them who will learn hands-on teaching skills four days a week and attend Chelmsford College on day release.
A partnership with Canterbury University to deliver remote degree-level study is also planned.
Funding has been secured from the National Apprenticeship Service and Essex County Council.
You may also want to watch:
Director of teaching school at Powers Hall Academy and co-founder of the scheme, Tim Cuerden, said: “It was felt we were missing out on good teachers who weren’t suited to the traditional academic route to qualification.
“The scheme could encourage more males into teaching because they are attracted to doing things.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 6 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 7 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 8 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 9 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 10 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
Yesterday, Mr Cuerden met with apprentices, teachers and Witham MP Priti Patel to officially launch the apprenticeship scheme.