Search for robbers after Witham taxi drivers threatened with claw hammer
Robbers armed with a silver claw hammer are being hunted after three attacks in Witham that police believe to be linked.
The first happened at around 12.40am on Wednesday, February 7 in Albert Road.
Two men wearing balaclavas demanded money from a taxi driver as he sat in his vehicle at the Witham train station cab rank.
One of the men was reportedly wielding a sliver claw hammer.
The pair made off empty handed towards Cut Throat Lane.
You may also want to watch:
They are described as white, in their late teens/early 20s, slim and wearing dark hooded tops with the hood up and balaclavas.
About 15 minutes later a taxi driver was called to Teak Walk where two men, one carrying a claw hammer, approached the vehicle and tried to rob the driver.
- 1 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 2 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 3 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 4 West Suffolk restaurant named among best in the country
- 5 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 6 Channel 4 documentary to be filmed at Suffolk pub
- 7 Donacien's 'feeling the love' after returning from the Ipswich Town shadows
- 8 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 9 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 10 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
The cabby drove away before anything was taken.
Detectives at Essex Police believe these two incidents may be connected with a third robbery in the town on the same day.
At around 10.15pm, a man was walking along a footpath between Guithavon Road and Highfields Road when he was approached from behind by three men.
They assaulted him, stole a black and red Nike rucksack before making off in the direction of Guithavon Road.
The first man is described as white, 5ft 6ins tall, slim and wearing a black tracksuit; the second man was white, 5ft 10ins tall, stocky and wearing a light-grey tracksuit with black trainers; and the third man was white and wearing a navy blue tracksuit and black baseball cap.
Anyone who witnessed any of these incidents, has CCTV or dash cam footage of them, were in the areas at the time, or has any other information is urged to call Dc Dave Smith at Braintree Criminal Investigations Department on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.