Withersfield: Man arrested after theft of heating oil
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested after an incident involving the theft of heating oil in Withersfield.
The offence took place at around 5am this morning, Wednesday, December 4, at an address in Burton Hill.
The victim had woken up early and heard noises in the alleyway beside their property. When they went to investigate, a container was seen near to the oil tank and a figure was then seen in the alleyway.
The victim immediately called the police and on arrival, officers searched the area resulting in a suspect being detained nearby.
A 44-year-old man from London has been arrested on suspicion of theft and taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre where he is currently being held for questioning.
You may also want to watch:
Police recommend members of the public consider the following measures to protect heating oil tanks:
· Screen your tank with fencing or hedges
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 10 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
· Close and secure any gates leading to the tank
· Conceal or cover any external pipes and fuel lines
· Install dusk to dawn security lighting. CCTV is also a good deterrent
· Install lockable caps supported by a closed shackle padlock
· Consider installing a tank alarm
· Join a Neighbourhood Watch scheme