Witness was told to change her story, Marks Tey attempted murder trial told

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: ARCHANT

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: Archant

A witness in the trial of two men and a teenager accused of attempted murder has claimed she received a series of telephone calls telling her to change her evidence.

Giving evidence to a jury at Ipswich Crown Court Nakita St Luce said that after telling the court last week that a man she knew as "K" had been present during the attack in Marks Tey on Halloween last year she received three conference phone calls telling her to "drop K out of it" and to say that someone else had been there instead.

Asked by Christopher Paxton QC prosecuting, if she had felt forced to change her evidence, she replied: "Yes".

Ms St Luce said that the man she knew as "K" and 23-year-old Donald Adu and another man had taken part in the calls to her.

Adu, of Howard Road, London, Calvin Armstrong, 22, of no fixed address, and a 16-year-old youth, who cannot be named because of his age, have denied attempting to murder 41-year-old Leon Sobers on October 31 last year and a less serious charge of wounding him with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm.


You may also want to watch:


The court has that Mr Sobers, who was living in Marks Tey, suffered a number of stab wounds in the alleged attack, including one which resulted in his bowels protruding from his stomach.

It has been alleged that Mr Sobers was lured into a trap after getting a telephone call from someone called "Rico".

Most Read

Mr Paxton said the reason for the attack on Mr Sobers was unclear but it was likely to relate to the supply of Class A drugs.

Giving evidence Mr Sobers said he had gone to an alleyway near his home after getting a telephone call about drugs.

When he got to the alleyway near Mandeville Road he saw three males, including one who was wearing a skeleton mask.

He started to feel that "something wasn't quite right" and had then felt a sharp pain in his back.

He had run out of the alleyway and knocked at the front door of a nearby house before the three males allegedly "rushed" him.

He said that after the attack a former paramedic had come to his aid and had done what she could for him until an ambulance arrived.

The trial continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus