Woman, 81, tackles burning arm chair

Woman, 81, tackles burning arm chair

A DARING 81-year-old woman was burned after moving a flaming arm chair out of her house.

The injured woman from Seafields Road in Clacton suffered smoke inhalation and burns in the blaze which started after a spark from an open fire spread to the chair at 7.35pm today.

Sub Officer Danny Partridge from Clacton fire station said: “The fire started when a spark from an open fire caught alight a pile of fire wood which then spread to an arm chair.

“The lady had moved the burning arm chair outside and got injured in the process. “


You may also want to watch:


Fire fighters from Clacton were called to the fire in the detached house, which had completely logged the ground floor with smoke.

Paramedics treated the woman at the scene with first aid then took her to hospital.

Most Read

Two fire crews wore breathing apparatus to fight the flames, which were out by 8.47pm.

They used a thermal image camera to check for any remaining hot spots and then ventilated the property using a specialist fan.

Sub Officer Partridge added “When using an open fire always use a fire guard, and if you do have a fire in your home always call 999, get out and stay out of your property.”

More updates to follow.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus