Woman dies in accident on A120 at Wix in Essex
- Credit: Archant
An 80-year-old woman from the Manningtree area has died after a road accident at Wix near Harwich.
She was driving a Honda Jazz which was in collision with a Ford Transit van travelling in the opposite direction on the A120 at Saturday lunchtime.
Her name will not be released by the police until next of kin have been informed and an inquest has been arranged.
The van driver, a 45-year-old man, was airlifted to the Royal London Hospital with serious injuries. His passenger, a 14-year-old girl, was taken to Colchester Hospital.
Although there was initial concern about their injuries, they were both released from hospital and were able to return home to the Harwich area later in the day.
You may also want to watch:
The road was closed between Horsley Cross and Primrose Lane for some time while forensic examination work was carried out and the scene was cleared.
The road was opened again by the start of Sunday.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
Although the A120 between Harwich and Colchester has been the scene of several serious accidents over the years, that particular section through Wix has not been a site of particular concern.
The clerk of Wix Parish Council, Emma Cansdale, said there were calls for the dual carriageway on the A120 to be extended to Harwich – but the area where Saturday’s accident had happened had not been a major concern.
The A120 in Tendring has been the scene of many accidents over the years – more on the section nearer Colchester – but the installation of new average speed cameras and rebuilding a roundabout seems to have reduced the number of serious accidents there.
The road is single carriageway at Wix – it ceases to be a dual carriageway just after the junction with the A133 road to Clacton – but it remains busy as it is the main route for freight and passengers heading to the ferry terminal at Parkeston Quay on the edge of Harwich.
Witnesses and anyone with dash cam footage of the accident on Saturday are asked to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit at Essex Police on 01245 240590 or email email@example.com