Woman killed in road crash
ONE woman was killed and another left fighting for her life last night after an horrific collision between a car and a bicycle. A 21-year-old cyclist died after becoming trapped under a car following a collision in Berechurch Hall Road, Colchester, at about 8.
ONE woman was killed and another left fighting for her life last night after an horrific collision between a car and a bicycle.
A 21-year-old cyclist died after becoming trapped under a car following a collision in Berechurch Hall Road, Colchester, at about 8.30pm.
The driver of the red Alfa Romeo Spyder, which had been heading towards the town, was also in a critical condition after the accident.
The cyclist became trapped under the car and had to be removed by emergency service personnel before being rushed to Colchester General Hospital. It was later confirmed she had died from her injuries.
Witnesses said the bike had been thrown more than 20ft by the impact of the collision.
A passenger in the Alfa, who was not seriously hurt, was being treated for severe shock by ambulance service personnel at the scene.
- 1 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 2 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 3 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 4 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 5 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 6 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 7 Woman receives life ban from owning dogs after sheep were mauled
- 8 'That is the calibre'- Oxford boss on potential transfer move for Norwood
- 9 Three overnight burglaries in the same Sudbury street
- 10 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
The road was closed off as police started their investigation into how the accident happened.
A spokesman for Essex Ambulance Service said the cyclist had suffered severe head injuries.
He said: "The cyclist was trapped under the back end of the car. The driver of the car, a woman thought to be in her 40s, also has severe head injuries."
Anyone who witnessed the accident should call Stanway road policing unit on 01206 762512.