Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 22°C

min temp: 10°C


Woman ran amok in Walberswick pub committing five assaults, threatening behaviour and criminal damage

PUBLISHED: 12:00 02 April 2016

The Bell Inn, Walberswick.

The Bell Inn, Walberswick.

A 22-year-old woman is awaiting sentence after "screaming like a banshee" while assaulting five people during a birthday celebration in a picturesque Suffolk pub.

In addition, Saffron Betts, of Hotson Road, Southwold, also admitted assaulting two police officers following the fracas.

The one-woman crimewave committed the five pub assaults, criminal damage and threatening behaviour at the 15th Century Bell Inn in Walberswick on December 5.

Before Betts - whose address was also given as Adams Lane, Walberswick, on the court list - lost control the village is understood to have only had around 16 crimes in the previous 12 months.

Betts pleaded guilty to all nine offences when she appeared before Lowestoft magistrates.

She also admitted two further assaults while on bail - one on February 1, the other between January 22 and 23.

The incidents at The Bell Inn occurred when a group of residents went out to celebrate the birthday of Michael Stannard.

They were originally at The Anchor in Walberswick. Betts, who was not with them, was drunk and tried to join in with their conversation.

The group then went to The Bell. Betts also moved on to the 600-year-old inn.

Mr Stannard was playing darts. Betts wanted to throw a dart, but Mr Stannard was said to have told her no.

Betts became abusive and wandered off while Mr Stannard went back to join his friends.

However, Betts returned and was again abusive to Mr Stannard. The incident culminated with him being punched on the cheek.

Mr Stannard’s friend Christopher Hosea escorted Betts away and as he did so she lashed out, causing a small cut to his nose and scratches to his forearms.

Fiona Hosea was also assaulted.

In statements to police Betts was described as “screaming like a banshee” and being out of control.

Betts also assaulted Ben and Rebecca Whiting in the pub. Mr Whiting was bitten on the check while Mrs Whiting was pulled by the hair.

When a barman tried to call police Betts grabbed the cordless phone from him, throwing it at a wall causing damage valued at £50.

Two police officers went to her home in Walberswick following the incidents and one was bitten on the hand as Betts was being handcuffed.

When she was taken to Great Yarmouth police investigation centre a female Pc was spat at while helping to take Betts to a cell.

Betts’ case has been adjourned for a pre-sentence report. She is due to return to the Lowestoft court for sentencing on April 21.

Betts is currently on bail.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists