Woman sexually assaulted on seafront
A WOMAN was subjected to an "horrendous" ordeal when she was dragged along a promenade and sexually assaulted.Detectives were last night viewing CCTV footage in a bid to trace the man responsible for the terrifying attack at an Essex seaside resort.
By Annie Davidson
A WOMAN was subjected to an "horrendous" ordeal when she was dragged along a promenade and sexually assaulted.
Detectives were last night viewing CCTV footage in a bid to trace the man responsible for the terrifying attack at an Essex seaside resort.
The 49-year-old victim was in a shelter on Clacton's upper promenade when she was approached by the man who dragged her down onto the lower promenade and sexually assaulted her.
During the attack, he told her he was Italian and worked in one of Clacton's nightclubs.
The incident took place between 1am and 2.30am on Saturday morning as the woman sat in a shelter opposite Edith Road.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 6 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 7 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 8 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
She was sexually assaulted next to a café kiosk at the bottom of a sloping pathway.
Police are anxious to trace three men who were talking to each other on the pathway and who the attacker stopped to speak to after the assault.
Investigating officer Detective Inspector Godfrey O'Toole, said: "During a very brief conversation with this woman, the attacker said he worked in a nearby nightclub.
"In doing so, he spoke in broken English and said he was an Italian.
"At the moment, we are studying CCTV footage in order to identify this man but we would also like to hear from anyone who was near the seafront at the time.
"In particular, we would like those three men who were spoken to by the attacker to contact us as they may be able to provide us with details of his identity or inform us where the man was going."
The attacker is described as Mediterranean-looking, aged in his late teens or early 20s and of slim build.
He was around six foot tall and had short, black hair and was wearing a red-coloured short-sleeved shirt with black trousers.
He was clean shaven and wore a couple of gold chains around his neck.
Det Insp O'Toole added: "The woman, who is particularly vulnerable, is currently being supported by police liaison officers and is recovering from her ordeal.
"Although there are no obvious outwards signs of an attack the woman has clearly been through an horrendous trauma."
The woman was able to walk to nearby Clacton police station where she reported the attack.
Anyone who can help identify the attacker is asked to contact detectives at Clacton police station on 01255 221312 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.