Women on Wheels event back for fifth year in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
Registration for a hugely popular female-only cycling event in Bury St Edmunds is now open.
Women on Wheels (WoW) is back for its fifth year in Bury St Edmunds and to celebrate the anniversary, next year’s event will also include a ‘park party’ following the ride for participants, family and friends.
Next year’s event will take place on Sunday, July 8, starting from Nowton Park and will include four routes to suit all abilities, with 10, 25, 50 or 70-mile distances available.
The female-only bike ride is aimed at woman of all abilities and is open to all ages.
This year’s event attracted a record 227 riders and raised £9,332 for Bury St Edmunds-based charity St Nicholas Hospice Care.
You may also want to watch:
The Bury St Edmunds is one of five WoW events which will be held across Suffolk next year and is organised by Abbeycroft Leisure in partnership with Suffolk County Council and Suffolk Sport.
The series of events will be supported by specialist bike retailer Revel Outdoors and brewer Adnams.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 9 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
George Chilvers, community fundraiser at St Nicholas Hospice Care, said: “We’re delighted that Women on Wheels has become a permanent fixture in our fundraising calendar and we’re ever so grateful for the wonderful amount raised and all the support that we have received.
“Every day it costs over £12,000 to keep the hospice running and it’s thanks to the amazing support from events like WOW that we are able to continue offering the vital services we provide throughout West Suffolk and Thetford.
Sarah Wightman, owner of Revel Outdoors, said: “It’s amazing that WoW Bury St Edmunds is now in it’s fifth year and going from strength to strength.
“We are hoping even more women and girls will joins us on these enjoyable and friendly rides this year and discover the fun of cycling.
“We’re so pleased to be a part of this fantastic event.”
Alison Blackwell, Abbeycroft Leisure’s development director, said: “Work has already started on next year’s event, and we’re hoping for even more ladies and girls to take part.
“It’s a great day, with lots of fun, coffee and cake and now we’re adding picnics, prosecco and barbecues into the mix.
“Cycling is a great way to appreciate our beautiful county and this event helps us in our ambition to become England’s most active county.”
Ladies who register now will receive a 50% early bird discount or can donate the discount if they prefer.
For more information about the event, visit www.wowsuffolk.org.uk or the St Nicholas Hospice Care website at www.stnicholashospice.org.uk