Woodbridge: Business as usual at bakery’s ‘pop shop’
- Credit: Archant
AN award-winning Suffolk bakery and cake shop has entered a landmark year in its history with plans for a fresh image.
Staff at The Cake Shop, in Woodbridge, are busy serving customers from a converted shipping container, nicknamed “The Cake Pop”, while refurbishment takes place ahead of a grand reopening in two weeks.
This year marks the 150th anniversary of a bakery existing in town, give or take three years when the shop was temporarily replaced by a barbers.
The Wright family moved into 21 The Thoroughfare in 1946 and its management will this year pass officially to David, the third generation of bakers, who said: “We’re having a complete overhaul and creating what we hope will be a testament to our history.
“We currently have a pop-up shop in a shipping container from which we can supply our wholesale customers and serve people bread and cakes.
“We’ve got an excellent team of staff who are making it work while the shop is being rebuilt.”
Mr Wright is set to take over from his father, Peter, who in 1970 stepped into the same role previously occupied by his father Jonathan.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 4 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 5 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 6 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 7 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 8 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 9 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 10 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
The Cake Shop won the title of “Best Baker” in the EADT Suffolk Food Awards for 2007, 2008 and 2009.
It is due to reopen on Saturday, February 16. You can follow progress of the refurbishment by searching Facebook or following @cakeshopbakery on Twitter.