Woodbridge: Business as usual at bakery’s ‘pop shop’
- Credit: Archant
AN award-winning Suffolk bakery and cake shop has entered a landmark year in its history with plans for a fresh image.
Staff at The Cake Shop, in Woodbridge, are busy serving customers from a converted shipping container, nicknamed “The Cake Pop”, while refurbishment takes place ahead of a grand reopening in two weeks.
This year marks the 150th anniversary of a bakery existing in town, give or take three years when the shop was temporarily replaced by a barbers.
The Wright family moved into 21 The Thoroughfare in 1946 and its management will this year pass officially to David, the third generation of bakers, who said: “We’re having a complete overhaul and creating what we hope will be a testament to our history.
“We currently have a pop-up shop in a shipping container from which we can supply our wholesale customers and serve people bread and cakes.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got an excellent team of staff who are making it work while the shop is being rebuilt.”
Mr Wright is set to take over from his father, Peter, who in 1970 stepped into the same role previously occupied by his father Jonathan.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 5 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 6 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 7 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 8 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 9 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 10 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
The Cake Shop won the title of “Best Baker” in the EADT Suffolk Food Awards for 2007, 2008 and 2009.
It is due to reopen on Saturday, February 16. You can follow progress of the refurbishment by searching Facebook or following @cakeshopbakery on Twitter.