Woodbridge counts the cost after four businesses are targeted this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Businesses in Woodbridge have fallen victim to further break-ins over the weekend.
The shops, which are all in the Thoroughfare area of the town, are thought to have been broken overnight between Friday and Saturday.
Those which have been confirmed to have been broken into include the Happiness Store, The Sandwich Store, the British Red Cross shop and Charisma, the Indian restaurant.
Tim Fincham, from The Sandwich Shop, said that the thieves had broken the rear door of the shop and had searched through paperwork at the shop before leaving empty handed and having missed a large cup of tips.
Mr Fincham, whose shop has been broken into twice before in 21 years, said that January is the worst possible time for the break-ins.
“It has come at a bad time. All the small business have taxes to pay this month.”
Mr Fincham also found that his neighbours, Charisma, had had their property broken into when he “noticed that their door was slightly ajar.” It’s thought a small amount of money was taken from the restaurant.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 10 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75
Robert Woods is the Deputy Manager for the British Red Cross shop in the town. He said that his boss had been called to the shop by worried neighbours shortly after midnight.
“They took the safe,” said Mr Woods, “it’s very upsetting that this has happened.”
This latest spate of break-ins comes only days after The Galley restaurant was also broken into.
Owner Ugur Vata described the incident as “a waste of people’s time” as the restaurant has only had barely any takings in the till when thieves broke in.
County councillor for the town, Caroline Page, said that a more visible police presence was needed in the town which she said “had long had the reputation of being crime free”.
Woodbridge Mayor Clare Perkins has organised a question and answer session with Suffolk police this week to address the latest break-ins.
Inspector Andy Pursehouse will be on hand to talk to business owners and residents about the latest incidents and how the town can protect itself from further incidents.
Mayor Perkins spoke to business owners in the town on Saturday, and said that there was a sense of “disbelief” amongst them.
“It’s awful. A lot of independent shops are wondering if they will be the next target,” she said adding that many were concerned that thieves would start targeting residential properties in Woodbridge.
“We have all got to galvanise together to protect the town. I am taking it very seriously as mayor,” said Mayor Perkins.
The question and answer session with the police will take place at Shire Hall on Thursday at 6pm.
Woodbridge is the second east Suffolk town to have its businesses targeted in recent weeks.
Police are currently investigating a possible link between a number of burglaries in Southwold last weekend.
The Black Olive Delicatessen, the St Elizabeth Hospice charity shop, the Two Magpies Bakery and Observatory the Opticians were all targeted between Saturday January 6 and Monday January 8.