Warning issued after dog suffers snake bite wound on heathland walk
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk dog owner has issued a warning to others to be vigilant after her pet had to spend several days in the vets following an adder bite.
Raven the Weimaraner had to be taken to Vets Now in Ipswich for emergency treatment after being bitten on the face while out on a heathland walk.
It wasn’t until hours later that owner Caz Terrell realised what had happened.
“I didn’t hear a yelp or anything”, said Caz. “Three hours later her face was just huge. I knew straight away we had to get to the vets.”
Vets found a puncture wound on the dog’s face. She was given painkillers and fluids as well as anti-inflammatory and antihistamine medicine.
You may also want to watch:
She then spent two nights at her local vets.
Clare-Marie Carter, principal nurse at Vets Now said:“We get a lot of snake bites in this area and stock anti-venom, but it can cause a reaction so we don’t use it unless absolutely necessary.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“She didn’t seem bothered by the fact her face was so swollen. She still cuddled up to us and enjoyed her bowls of chicken.
“Raven did well to battle through and deal with it herself. It’s great to hear she’s now fully recovered.”