Huge grass fire breaks out in east Suffolk field
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
Firefighters are currently on scene of a large field fire near Woodbridge in east Suffolk.
Crews were called to the standing crop fire off Marlesford Road, Campsea Ashe, just before 11.40am on Tuesday.
The incident comes as temperatures continue to soar in the heatwave.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews are currently tackling a standing crop fire.
"The fire is close to the rail lines and Network Rail have been informed and trains have been cautioned."
Posting on Twitter, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said: "We are currently in attendance at a field fire near Campsea Ashe.
"We ask everyone to keep away from the area and to close windows and doors if the smoke is heading for your property."
- 1 Police cordon in place as man's body found
- 2 Revealed: Town to make matchday changes at Portman Road after fan feedback
- 3 Police presence increases as officers search town for three missing people
- 4 New twist in 12-year planning battle over Suffolk camp site
- 5 Car on fire causes A12 northbound to close
- 6 Ranking all 92 home shirts from the top four divisions
- 7 Field fire breaks out in 27 acres of land in east Suffolk
- 8 Investigation launched after EVRi parcels found dumped in hedge
- 9 'We will keep everything open' - McKenna on Celina's Turkey move and potential new attacking signings
- 10 Tributes paid to 'kind' and 'friendly' student who died off Clacton coast
There are currently twelve appliances on scene and a number of crews are en route.
Smoke was visible from as far away as the A12.
The incident caused a number of Greater Anglia rail services between Ipswich and Lowestoft to be cancelled, given the fire's proximity to a nearby train track.
Appliances from Ipswich East, Woodbridge, Princes Street, Framlingham, Oxford, Leiston, Aldeburgh and Saxmundham have been called to the fire.
A stop was called by the fire service shortly after 2pm, though a number of appliances remained on the scene after this point.