Youngsters sought to join canoe building project with Woodbridge Riverside Trust
- Credit: Archant
A new project is beginning next month in Woodbridge to create a replica pirogue canoe.
The project is being run by Woodbridge-based charity Just 42 and the Woodbridge Riverside Trust.
Together they are offering six young people aged between 11 and 18 the chance to get involved.
A weekly session will be held at the Longshed on Whisstocks Place where those selected will be able to get involved in each aspect of the build alongside volunteers from the Riverside Trust.
Each student will create their own paddle for the canoe while also taking it in turns to work on the other areas of the canoe.
You may also want to watch:
If all goes well the group hope that the canoe will be river-worthy in a few months time and will take it out with a local sailing club.
“We are hoping they will complete that in a term,” said Caroline Rutherford from Just 42, “If it goes well with the canoe we will look at building a skiff.”
- 1 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 2 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 8 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
Those hoping to get involved will have to be able to attend building sessions weekly on Tuesdays from 4.30pm until 6.30pm.
Just 42 hope that the sessions will appeal to those who don’t usually get involved in other activities outside of school.
Those interested in getting involved in the project should go along to an information evening on October 2 at the Longshed. To find out more email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01394 380992.