Woodbridge: Soldiers from 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault) to march through town
- Credit: Archant
A CELEBRATION to mark the close relationship between a community and its soldiers will focus on building links with local veterans.
Members of 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault), based at Rock Barracks at Sutton Heath, will parade through nearby Woodbridge on June 7.
After exercising the Freedom of the Town the soldiers will then head to Elmhurst Park for equipment displays and a Beating Retreat by The Band of the Parachute Regiment. As part of the day, veterans from the Suffolk Coastal area are invited to a lunch from 1.30pm to 3.30pm.
Military charities including The Royal British Legion will also be on hand.
Lieutenant Colonel Jason Hones, Commanding Officer of 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault), said: “We hugely value the support we receive from the people of Woodbridge. This special day is our opportunity to show our appreciation and celebrate these close links. We want to reach out to former military personnel in the area and ensure they are aware of the support available to them. It’s open to all - whether they served in the Army, Navy or RAF, were in the Second World War or have returned from more recent conflicts such as Iraq or Afghanistan.”
Mayor of Woodbridge, Patti Mulcahy said: “We have long held 23 Engineer Regiment in high esteem and I urge people to come out and show their support.”
Veterans wishing to attend the lunch can contact 01394 421359 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 6 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 7 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 8 'Fans are disgruntled - I understand it' - Cook on Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 9 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week