Woodbridge: Star of West End show Les Miserables returns to Farlingaye High School
- Credit: Archant
A FORMER star of Les Misérables has returned to his old school to help a current pupil recreate the role he filled in the West End.
After leaving Farlingaye High School in Woodbridge in 1991, Martin Warden went on to appear at the Palace Theatre, in London, as Javert – played on screen recently by Russell Crowe.
He sang in the 10th anniversary concert at the Royal Albert Hall and the 25th anniversary show at the O2 Arena in 2010.
Mr Warden, who will help direct the Children’s Theatre Company production of the musical at the Wolsey Theatre in July, said: “I couldn’t wait to come back to my old stamping ground.”
After more than 17 years as an actor, including singing parts in Miss Saigon and Oliver!, he is now living in Felixstowe and working as a vocal coach. He returned to Farlingaye to meet sixth-formers Peter Ling and Sam Edwards as they prepare for the school’s production, and gave the two leads a chance to explore their characters.
Sam, who plays Javert, said: “It was an experience that was absolutely invaluable, but also a lot of fun.”
Peter, playing the hero Valjean, said: “It is so valuable to have had someone of Martin’s experience giving us some pointers.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 5 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 6 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 9 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
Farlingaye’s production runs from February 27 to March 2.