Woodburner causes chimney fire in Stradbroke

Stock image of a woodburner. Photo: PA/thinkstockphotos.

Stock image of a woodburner. Photo: PA/thinkstockphotos. - Credit: PA

A fire chief has issued safety advice to owners of wood burning stoves after one caused a chimney blaze in Suffolk.

A blaze which broke out in a wood burner and involved a beam above the burner broke out at a property in New Street, Stradbroke at around 5am.

Firefighters used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze and checked for any hot spots before the incident was fully control at 6am.

Wood burning stoves are environmentally-friendly, alternative methods of heating homes and are fuelled by wood.

Ian Mallet, prevention lead at the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This fire incident highlights the need to make sure chimneys and flues are periodically swept and inspected regularly to ensure serviceability.

“We have a number of recommendations to be followed in properties which have open fires or wood burners: avoid overloading, if burning wood ensure it is seasoned and suitable.

“Make sure wood is stored at a different location to the burner, don’t keep it next to the burner and ensure a fire guard is in place for open fires and when children are in the premises.

Most Read

“Things to look out for to avoid chimney fires include excessive smoke, embers falling back into the hearth or from the chimney pot, the walls of the chimney breast or adjacent walls becoming hot to the touch.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter