Workmen's lucky escape from blaze
By Sharon AsplinTHREE workmen had a lucky escape after fire broke out in the roof of the building in which they were working.Emergency services were called to the St Giles Sheltered Housing complex in Moor Hall Lane, East Hanningfield, just before noon yesterday.
By Sharon Asplin
THREE workmen had a lucky escape after fire broke out in the roof of the building in which they were working.
Emergency services were called to the St Giles Sheltered Housing complex in Moor Hall Lane, East Hanningfield, just before noon yesterday.
Fire crews from Great Baddow, South Woodham Ferrers, Wickford and Maldon were sent to the scene, plus three ambulances, a rapid response vehicle and the incident support unit manager from headquarters.
You may also want to watch:
Ambulance technician Debbie Smail said: “The three were using an environmental vacuum in the loft space above 12 single-storey units. They were in protective equipment including face masks as they were dealing with asbestos.
“They told us the power suddenly went out and their masks started to fill with smoke. One of the men managed to make a hole in the roof by punching through the felt and then knocking slates off.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 6 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 7 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
“When he looked out he saw that the roof was on fire. He and a colleague made the hole bigger and managed to clamber out and down from the roof.
“The third man managed to jump down from the loft and then made his way out through the building.”
All three suffered mild smoke inhalation and were taken to Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, for treatment.
The two men who escaped through the roof were a 19-year-old from Pitsea and a 57-year-old from London, while the man who escaped through the building was a 23-year-old from Pitsea.
Ms Smail added: “All three have had an incredibly lucky escape. It must have been a terrifying experience for all three. Their actions undoubtedly saved their lives.
“In total 12 of the units, which house young adults with learning disabilities, have been gutted by the fire. It is fortunate that staff managed to get all the residents out without any injuries or this could have turned into a very serious incident.”