Worlingworth: Swimming teacher wins prestigious award
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2013
A swimming school owner from Harleston has spoken of her surprise after she received a prestigious award recognising individuals who have demonstrated an outstanding contribution to swimming and water safety.
Teresa Griffin, 49, who owns and runs Water Lilies Swimming School, offering swimming lessons at pools across Suffolk and Norfolk, has received the Sir Henry Pike Memorial Award from the Swimming Teachers Association (STA).
The shield is awarded annually to a swimming teacher who has met criteria and standards set down by the STA covering commitment and continuous professional development.
Miss Griffin, who lives in Pipers Meadow, Worlingworth, started her school in 2008 when she began offering swimming lessons to her friends’ children, but the school has since grown to teach more than 950 people a week, ranging from six weeks to 80 years old and has 19 staff.
Lessons are held at Archbishop Sancroft High School in Harleston, but also at six other pools in the area, including Redlingfield, Shelfanger, Pulham, Burgh St Peter, Flixton and Holton.
You may also want to watch:
“I am thrilled and quite surprised. It is nice to be recognised for something that you feel passionate about. I love seeing the excitement on the children’s faces at lessons,” Miss Griffin said.
The mother-of-one added she did not think her award success would have been possible without the efforts of the 19 instructors who help take the lessons on six days a week.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 5 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 6 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 7 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 8 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 9 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 10 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
The STA award recognised her efforts over the last 12 months, which included introducing more STA award courses and increasing the variety of lessons to include snorkelling, diving, syncro, short intense courses and taster sessions.
She received the award at Archbishop Sancroft pool on Saturday.