Super heroes pass £50,000 mark with charity zip line event
- Credit: Archant
The Super Hero Zip Line was held at Ipswich Hospital where 210 members of the public took to the skies by climbing up and off the maternity building and zipping down a 120ft high line, all in the name of charity.
Organisers had previously believed that they were coming close to the £40,000 mark shortly before the event.
They now believe the total stands at around £52,500 with the possibility of yet further donations still to be collected.
The money raised will now be split between all these respective areas which ranged from The Blossom Appeal to the haematology department.
Those taking part were given the opportunity to pick which part of the hospital they would like to fundraise for
You may also want to watch:
Many picked departments which were close to their hearts and that had either helped themselves or friends and family.
Among those taking part were members of staff from the hospital, ambulance medics and police officers.
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 4 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 5 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 6 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 8 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
- 9 Mega theme park plans 'could add to Essex traffic problems'
- 10 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
An initial target of £150 was set to each person taking part with many of the fundraisers collecting well in excess of this figure.
As part of the super hero theme those taking part were encouraged to dress like their favourite caped crusaders with plenty of Wonderwoman’s taking to the sky alongside Batgirls and Supermen.
A spokesperson for the Ipswich Hospital Charity said:“We are so grateful to everyone that took to the skies in our inaugural zip line event over the bank holiday weekend, many of whom were fundraising for areas of the hospital that were very close to their hearts having had personal experiences of the care here at Ipswich Hospital.
“The total sponsorship received so far exceeds all of our expectations and we want to thank all of our super heroes and everyone that supported and encouraged them.”
The zip line replaced the traditional abseil that took place at the hospital as organiser wanted to shake up the event and try something new.
Many well wishers turned out across the three day event to support those taking the plunge in the event.
Raffles and cake sales also being held on the day to raise extra funds for the hospital.