Rob Charles and Kevin O’Donnell are new managers at Felixstowe and Walton United
FELIXSTOWE and Walton United have confirmed the appointment of Kevin O’Donnell and Rob Charles as joint managers.
The Seasiders have been struggling in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division this year, with management duo Steve Buckle and Gary Thompson departing earlier this season.
Charles is a familiar face at the Goldstar Ground, having played for the club with distinction for a number of years.
He was also assistant manager to Kevin Witchalls before both stepped down for personal reasons at the end of the 2011/12 season.
Charles has a thorough knowledge of local level four, five and six football and has recently been helping Needham Market manager Danny Laws in a scouting role.
He will joined by O’Donnell, who brings with him a wealth of coaching experience and qualifications.
The club hope this will not only benefit the senior side, but also assist in the development of youth and junior players, helping and working with the coaches already at the club.
- 1 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 2 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 10 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
O’Donnell spent five years as coach at Needham Market and was instrumental in their promotion to level four of the pyramid, before moving to Thetford Town as assistant manager, helping them gain promotion back to level five for the first time in 21 years.
Since parting company with Buckle and Thompson, the Seasiders’ director of football, Tony Barnes and the club’s executive committee have taken their time in appointing a new management team due to the number of exceptional applicants.
And Barnes also paid tribute to caretaker manager Witchalls for taking the reins in recent weeks in a professional manner, keeping the side together through an uncertain period.
Charles and O’Donnell have plans to further strengthen the coaching set up in the coming weeks, bringing in other qualified coaches with the aim to help the club achieve its long term ambitions of a Felixstowe Football Academy.
Director of football Barnes said “I am delighted with this appointment – it should give the club stability going forward.
“Rob is a real Felixstowe football man and I know he is determined to bring success to his hometown club.
“Kevin has a proven track record and a very impressive coaching CV having worked under Danny Laws
at Needham Market for five years.
“If Kevin can bring to us what Danny has brought to Needham in recent years, then Felixstowe and Walton United can look forward to some very exciting times ahead.”