“A fairly devastating result” – admits Colchester United boss John McGreal
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss John McGreal admitted that today’s dismal 3-0 home defeat to fellow strugglers Leyton Orient was a “devastating result.”
Striker Jay Simpson bagged a brace for the O’s (11 and 67 minutes), who had begun the day in the relegation zone, with right-back Nicky Hunt also on target early in the second half.
It extended the U’s winless run to 12 matches, nine in the league and three in cup competitions.
“We’ve had a dip this season, but today was the first time that we lacked real conviction,” explained McGreal.
“It was a poor result, but I’m not too dejected because we still created tons of chances, and I still have tons of faith in the squad.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m obviously gutted about the result, but it’s only three points. There are still 30 matches to go.
“But we have no excuses for today’s performance. We lacked conviction in both boxes, and we missed chances at crucial times.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 5 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Matchday Live: Town two up on basement boys
- 7 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 8 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
“It’s a fairly devastating result.
“Some of my players are lacking confidence, but others are still buoyant,” added McGreal.