A fine hat-trick: Colchester United extend three loan deals
- Credit: Su Anderson
Colchester United have received a triple boost, with three players extending their loan stays at the club.
Defenders Elliott Hewitt and Coel Kpekawa have both extended their loan deals for another month, while striker Rhys Healey has signed a loan package to keep him with the U’s for the rest of the season.
Hewitt has so far made 10 appearances, at right-back, since his arrival from Ipswich Town on October 6, although the 20–year-old has at times struggled, most notably in the recent heavy defeats at MK Dons and by Rochdale.
Fellow full-back Kpekawa, meanwhile, has played the first four senior games of his career in a U’s shirt over the last month.
The QPR 18-year-old has been very up-and-down for the U’s, perhaps to be expected for a rookie whose only previous experience had been in the under-21 development squad at Loftus Road.
You may also want to watch:
Front-runner Healey, though, is a player with far more first-team experience – the Cardiff City loanee has already bagged four goals in 12 senior appearances for the U’s, since his arrival in mid-September.
“All three of them have been extended,” confirmed Humes at yesterday lunchtime’s press conference.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 5 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 7 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 8 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 9 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 10 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
“Elliott (Hewitt) is ongoing for another month, and we are taking it month-by-month as we go forward.
“Elliott has the versatility where he can play further up the pitch as well, and that’s something we are looking at as a possibility.
“Cole (Kpewaka) has just today extended his loan for another month, and Rhys (Healey) we have extended until the end of the season.
“However, Cardiff have got a recall within that as well, so Rhys could go back at any-time. But this all gives us a little more strength in depth, in terms of the three bodies being with us.
“They are three talented young players. In the situation we are in, it’s tough for them, but hopefully in the long run it will make them better players and stronger characters.”