A ‘glorious debut’ for Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe celebrated his full Football League debut in the perfect way by scoring one and setting up the other in Colchester United’s 2-1 home win over Coventry City last night.
Ogedi-Uzokwe converted a 27th minute penalty to put the U’s 1-0 up, and although Tom Bayliss crashed home an equaliser in the 55th minute, ex-Maldon & Tiptree striker Ogedi-Uzokwe delivered a pinpoint cross for Mikael Mandron to head home an 88th minute winner.
Boss John McGreal enthused: “Junior has scored one and set up one. It’s a glorious debut for him.
“He wanted to take the penalty, and not even Mikael (Mandron) was going to stop him. He’s full of confidence and is a strong character.
“It was a brave call to start with Junior, but I just felt it was the right time for him after Kurtis (Guthrie) had got injured at Carlisle.
You may also want to watch:
“Junior had deserved his opportunity, because he had been doing so well in training. He has done terrific tonight.”
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 10 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village