Abrupt end to Colchester's run

NE14hockey East League - Premier BWest Herts 2 Colchester 1Colchester's good start to the season came to an end after a hard fought game in Watford.

NE14hockey East League - Premier B

West Herts 2 Colchester 1

Colchester's good start to the season came to an end after a hard fought game in Watford. Colchester travelled in good spirits after two wins in their first two games. Colchester were expecting a much tougher game than that of the first two, as their hosts had been relegated from Premier A at the end of last season.

This proved to be the case as West Herts put a lot of early pressure on the Colchester. However it was Colchester that had the first meaningful chance of the game. Craig Warriner picked the ball up on the half way before driving into the heart of the West Herts defence; Warriner slipped the ball to Rohan Khaira, who in turn found Mark Kennedy. Kennedy drove to the goal line before pulling the ball back, but failed to find his man. West Herts picked up the pressure once more and late in the half had a goal to show for their endeavours. A miss-hit reverse stick shot was miss-controlled in front on Liam Phillips in the Colchester goal, with the deflection leaving Phillips with little chance.

You may also want to watch:

Colchester got to half time just the one goal down, despite the incessant West Herts pressure. This prompted a positional change by the Colchester skipper. Kennedy and Khaira reverted to their familiar positions on the right hand side, with Tom Philp being employed as a man marker in midfield. These changes made the difference for Colchester, as they came more and more into the game. A good drive down the right gave Colchester a good chance, but a slight deflection on the cross meant that Warriner couldn't quite get his strike off with enough power to beat the home keeper. However Colchester were soon level, once again good work by Warriner resulted in a Penalty Corner. Matt Brown drag-flicked the ball low, but a deflection on the goal line took the ball high into the net.

Buoyed by the goal Colchester became the better side and it looked like if there was to be a winner, the visitors would be it. Colchester were lucky to stay with eleven men as Phillips came rushing out to the hosts quick breakaway and failed to win the ball, luckily the forward remained on his feet and failed to get his shot off.

Most Read

Colchester nearly won it late on when quick thinking by Brown released Lloyd Dennis who found Wayne Masters surging forward, however Masters could only find the keeper as he fired in his shot. The hosts however got a Penalty Flick with just moments to go. Tim Wright the guilty party as he stick tackled the advancing forward. Phillips was a bit slow in reacting to the flick, as the ball went high to his right.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter