SIL round-up: Achilles go eight points clear with 6-2 win at East Bergholt

Lee Grimwood, right, was on target for Achilles as they stretched their lead atop the SIL Senior Div

Lee Grimwood, right, was on target for Achilles as they stretched their lead atop the SIL Senior Division. Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: Archant

Achilles extended their lead at the top of the SIL Senior Division to eight points after comfortably beating East Bergholt United 6-2 away.

Early goals from Lee Grimwood and Danny Garrad set Achilles on their way before David Grimwood’s clever run and shot crept in past Gary Hammond in the Bergholt goal for a 3-0 advantage at the break.

Darren Van 0ene made it 4-0 Achilles before poor play between Ashley Smith and goalkeeper Chaplin allowed Heathcoate to slot home for Bergholt.

Achilles sub Gavin Van Oene came off the bench to score a double, one being a fine free kick from 25 yards, before Peck got another consolation for Bergholt.

Elsewhere, Henley Athletic saw off Leiston St Margarets 2-0, after a stalemate first half.

You may also want to watch:

The deadlock was broken after 70 minutes as a move down the right saw Munson cushion a ball down off his chest for Connor Field to smash home a curling, dipping wonder goal from 25 yards to make it 1-0.

After defending a spate of free kicks, Henley broke again and Munson was brought down by the visiting keeper, with Clark Bruce stepping up to smash home the penalty.

Most Read

In the Bob Coleman Cup quarter finals, Sporting 87 beat Grundisburgh 3-1.

James Cadby gave Sporting the lead after 17 minutes, but Paris Tuwizana levelled just before the break.

Cadby put 87 back ahead after 51 minutes, before Nathan Banks secured progress into the last four after 72 minutes.

Sporting will host Crane Sports at home in the semi-final after they beat Capel Plough 3-0.

A second minute goal from Mark Van Oene gave them the perfect start with James Blades twice shooting over and Jon Ince having a shot saved by Beal as the home team dominated the early stages.

Van Oene scored again from a Cooper free-kick on 25 minutes after the visitors were guilty of conceding a needless foul just outside the area.

Teon Leggatt made the game safe from the spot after the controversial award of a penalty for what looked a fair challenge inside the box.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter