SIL Senior round-up: Defending champs Achilles go top as Henley slip up
- Credit: James Ager
Defending champions Achilles sit top of the SIL Senior Division after a 3-2 home win over Haughley United.
Haughley actually led at the the break, through a Reece Golding strike after 20 minutes, but Gavin Van Oene equalised in the second stanza, before putting the champions ahead from the spot after Ryan Wragg was up-ended.
Connor Field made it 3-1, before Jamie Smith pulled one back for Haughley, but Achilles survived a nervy last ten minutes.
Henley Athletic are in second spot after they were upset 3-2 at home by East Bergholt United. Ross White and Jamie Cowan got the goals for Henley, but a brace from Kyle Jay and a strike from Aaron Greenwood gave Bergholt the win.
Bourne Vale now sit third, after a 2-1 win at Claydon FC. Man of the match Franko Mallardo got both goals for Vale – his second a beauty of a free-kick – while Cole netted for Claydon.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, Capel Plough and Benhall St Mary shared the points in a 2-2 draw. Super striker Chris Sillett gave the Badgers the lead from the spot, before Daniel Page levelled things up.
Tom Mower put Benhall back in front with a header, but Ant Jackson grabbed the equaliser from a Shaun Webb cross.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 8 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 9 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 10 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
In a clash at the bottom, Leiston St Margarets heaped further woe on basement boys Grundisburgh with a 4-1 win.
Ash Davis actually put the rock bottom side ahead, but a brace from Luke Croager, a Tane Backhouse penalty and a strike from Toby Jackson gave Leiston an emphatic victory.
Finally, Bramford United, who are also struggling at the bottom of the table, were thumped 4-1 at home by Coplestonians.
Again, the struggling side took the lead, with Kieran Mandley netting after just four minutes.
But a brace from Jordan Godbold and strikes from Perrie Soanes and Josh Smith made the points safe for Cops, who sit eighth in the table.
Other result: Wenhaston United 0 Trimley Red Devils 2.