Achilles hit Haughley for six, but miss out on SIL Senior Division title
- Credit: Archant
Achilles provided a strong performance against visiting Haughley United, but it was all in vain as, elsewhere, Henley Athletic were crowned Senior Division champions with a 2-0 victory over Cranes Sports.
Haughley ensured the integrity of the league with a decent showing, but the Suffolk Senior Cup winners were too powerful, scoring three goals in each half.
There was much anticipation from the near one-hundred spectators and the home side could so easily have been several goals to the good in the opening 10 minutes.
Liam Hillyard had an effort blocked inside two minutes and had another shot saved by Aaron Mayhew.
The A’s then took the lead in the sixth minute when Kieron Donovan headed home a corner.
You may also want to watch:
Haughley fought back and, having threatened the home defence, drew level on 17 minutes when Stephen Vincent took advantage of hesitancy between goalkeeper Shaun Chaplin and Mathew Ryland to finish.
Achilles were then relentless and forced 15 first-half corners with some impressive football.
- 1 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
Mayhew, playing his last game in goal having made just over 250 appearances for Haughley, brilliantly saved from Gavin Vanoene’s drilled shot.
At the other end Aaron Robinson went close, narrowly lobbing Chaplin, but his effort was off target.
Achilles went ahead again in the 26th minute when the impressive Vanoene dispatched a sublime shot past a bewildered Mayhew.
Achilles maintained their offensive play whilst Haughley were dangerous on the break. The home side added a third on 40 minutes when Lee Grimwood’s shot was blocked by Mayhew but Vanoene prodded the loose ball home.
With news of Henley’s pending championship success filtering through, the second half was somewhat subdued but nevertheless, Achilles added two further goals inside two minutes.
Firstly, on 53 minutes, Hillyard’s free kick was headed home by David Grimwood and then Lee Grimwood crossed for Hillyard to nod the ball into the net.
The scoring was completed on the final whistle when Joe Revell scored a penalty, Achilles taking the runners-up spot.