Achilles start defence of Senior Cup with emphatic Framlingham Town win
Last season’s Suffolk Senior Cup winners, Achilles, started their journey to retain the title against Thurlow Nunn new boys Framlingham Town.
It was the competition’s only first round tie with the winners travelling to Anglian Combination side Waveney FC in the second round.
Despite the final result, it was Framlingham who took the game to Achilles in the first 20 minutes, Chris Boardley shooting over the bar on two minutes and Danny Smith’s low goal-bound shot being diverted for a corner.
Achilles then had a let off on 26 minutes when a ball over the top of the home defence found Framlingham striker Smith who clipped the ball over Chaplin.
The ball bounced against the inside of the post and into the keepers’ arms.
You may also want to watch:
Achilles then settled and gained some good possession, Lee Grimwood having a shot turned onto the post, before the same player opened the scoring on 37 minutes.
The goal came following a mistake by Alex Ling. A quick through ball found the scorer, who hooked the ball past goalkeeper Chilvers at the second attempt.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 5 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 6 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 7 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 10 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
The home side, buoyed by the goal, increased their lead on 43 minutes when the Framlingham defence failed to cut out a Liam Hillyard cross and Ivan Buxton slid in at the far post to score.
Framlingham started the second half with positive intentions, Smith shooting past the post on 49 minutes and John Kerridge scuffing his shot after Alex Ling had beaten a defender and laid the ball in his path.
Achilles started to push the visitors’ defence further back and Lee Grimwood was a constant threat.
It was Grimwood who beat Charlie Smith to the ball, who ran towards goal.
However, Sam Chilvers saved with his feet and diverted the ball for a corner.
Cyrus Thorpe headed wide from a Max Willett cross but man-of-the-match Sean Benneworth kept the home defence solid giving Fram very few opportunities.
As Fram pushed for a goal, Achilles sealed the victory on 93 minutes, Danny Garrad playing a ball behind the visitors’ defence for Buxton to run onto and slot the ball past the keeper.
Achilles now visit Waveney in the second round.