Hopefully it’s third time lucky for Suffolk Senior Cup semi
- Credit: Archant
Achilles and Woodbridge Town will attempt to play their CNet Training Suffolk Senior Cup semi-final for the third time tomorrow evening, at Felixstowe & Walton United FC (kick-off 7.45pm).
Both previous matches at the Goldstar Ground, home of the Seasiders, have been postponed by rain on the day of the game.
The last-four tie was original scheduled to take place on Friday, March 9, but a heavy downpour from tea-time onwards caused it to be postponed with the teams already at the ground.
It was re-arranged for Wednesday, March 28, but steady rain throughout the day led to a mid-afternoon pitch inspection and the tie being called-off for a second time.
Hopefully it will be all systems go for a place in the final at Portman Road, which has now been confirmed as taking place on Friday, May 11, kick-off 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Since the tie was postponed a fortnight ago, both teams have taken steps closer to winning their respective leagues – and therefore a win tomorrow night will leave one of them 90 minutes away from a potential league and cup double.
Achilles, the Senior Cup holders, realistically need just one win from their remaining five matches to be crowned as this season’s Touchline SIL Senior Division champions.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 7 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 8 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 9 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
- 10 Shoplifter caught stealing £829 worth of alcohol from Sainsbury's
They sit 12 points clear of Crane Sports with both teams having five matches remaining, but Achilles have a goal difference of +28 over their rivals who, of course, they defeated 2-1 in last season’s Senior Cup Final at Portman Road.
Woodbridge Town, meanwhile, confirmed their promotion to the Premier Division of the Thurlow Nunn League after a four-year absence courtesy of a 7-0 victory over Norwich United Reserves on Saturday. However, whether Woodbridge win the title is far from certain, with Whitton United and Framlingham Town pushing them all the way.
Admission is £5 for adults and £3 for OAPS and children under-16.
A souvenir programme, priced £1, will also be on sale.
Tomorrow evening also sees the Days Sports Suffolk Senior Reserve Cup semi-final between Whitton United and Stowmarket Town taking place at Ipswich Wanderers FC.