AFC Sudbury and Southwold rugby are two places to get your sporting fix this weekend
- Credit: Archant
As always there is plenty of great local sport on offer around Suffolk over the next few days – starting on Friday night. What will you go and see?
Football: AFC Sudbury v Gosport Borough
After being knocked out of the Alan Turvey Trophy on Tuesday night by AFC Hornchurch, Sudbury have a chance to instead progress in the FA Trophy this weekend.
Gosport Borough are the visitors to the Wardale Williams Stadium on Saturday and are currently 13th in the Vanarama National League South.
They’ve won three of their last five in all competitions, including a 3-1 cup defeat of Eastleigh last time they played.
You may also want to watch:
It could be tough for Sudbury against their higher-league opponents, but we all know cup games can be unpredictable thing.
If you can’t get to the game, Gosport offer live commentaries of all their games – see ‘club information’ on their website.
Venue: The Wardale Williams Stadium, Brundon Lane, Sudbury, CO10 7HN. Tickets: (Standard prices, cup tickets may differ) Adult £10, concession £7, under 18 £2. Date: 3pm, December 10.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 8 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 9 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
- 10 'I felt we deserved to win' - Cook on 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
Rugby Union: Southwold v Basildon
It’s been quite a while since Southwold played, their friendly on November 26 being cancelled and the last match before that on November 19.
That was a 16-all draw against Stowmarket, their near neighbours in the table for a league which also includes geographical neighbours Lowestoft & Yarmouth.
Both Southwold and Basildon, who are seventh in the 12 team league, were unable to win last time out so will be looking to rectify that on Saturday.
The pair could have been closer in the league had Basildon, with 20 points to Southwold’s 27, not had a five point penalty deduction.
Venue: York Common, Southwold, IP18 6TB. Tickets: Free. Date: 2.15pm, December 10.
Greyhounds: Mildenhall Stadium
If you can’t wait to start your sporting weekend tomorrow then there are always the dogs at Mildenhall.
The greyhound racing starts at 7.30pm. There are 10 events to watch during the night at the stadium which also hosts stock and banger car racing as well as the Mildenhall Fen Tigers speedway team.
Venue: Mildenhall Stadium, Haylands Grove, West Row, Mildenhall, IP28 8QU. Tickets: Adult £5 (includes race card), OAP £4 (includes race card), under 16 free. Date: 7.30pm, December 9.