AFC Sudbury part company with manager Jamie Godbold

Manager Jamie Godbold, who has parted company with AFC Sudbury tonight. Picture: RICHARD MARSHAM

Manager Jamie Godbold, who has parted company with AFC Sudbury tonight. Picture: RICHARD MARSHAM

AFC SUDBURY have parted company with their management team of Jamie Godbold and Andy Reynolds.

Second-half goals by Jake Turner (68), Mekhi McKenzie (72) and Adam Mills (89) secured Sudbury a first league win of the season tonight, by a 3-0 scoreline at home to fellow strugglers Brentwood Town, but Godbold has left the Suffolk club.

A club statement was issued tonight: ‘AFC Sudbury Board of Directors have decided that it is in the best interest of the club to relieve the first team management of their duties with immediate effect.

‘The club would like to put on record their thanks to Jamie Godbold and Andy Reynolds for the tireless hours they have put into the club over the past couple of years. This period saw the first team promoted to the Isthmian Premier League for the first time in its history.

‘However, following relegation and a poor start to the current season, the Board felt a change was necessary.

‘I am delighted to announce that Danny Laws has agreed to take over as caretaker manager of the first team whilst the club considers its options.’

BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT were beaten 4-0 at league leaders and big spenders Billericay Town in front of a gate of 898 at New Lodge in Bostik Premier last night.

Most Read

The R’s had won their previous three league games, but they were trailing to Adam Cunnington’s first-half opener, before Jake Robinson netted a brace (62 and 84) to take the game beyond the visitors. Jermaine Pennant then struck the fourth with a delightful free-kick late on.

Elsewhere in the Bostik Premier, LEISTON dropped a place to third in the table after being held to a 0-0 draw at home to Harlow.

NEEDHAM MARKET suffered a 2-0 defeat at home to Lowestoft Town in the Suffolk derby at Bloomfields. The Marketmen squandered several chances in the first half, while Darryl Coakley had his second-half penalty saved by keeper Ben Dudzinski.

Substitute Josh Greenleaf then struck a quickfire brace, on 76 and 78 minutes.

In the Bostik North, Bury Town won 2-1 away at bottom club Norwich United, thanks to a brace from Darren Mills.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter