Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with globe-trotting Spanish midfielder... who is Europe’s leading interceptor
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town have been linked with a move for Spanish midfielder Alejandro Rodriguez Gorrin.
The central midfielder, who is out of contract with Scottish top flight club Motherwell this summer, is interesting both Ipswich and League One rivals Portsmouth this summer, according to Football Insider.
He has also been linked to Polish side Lech Poznan in recent weeks, as well as MLS duo Toronto FC and Atlanta United. He's also previously been mentioned in connection with Blackburn, Millwall, Wigan and Bristol City.
Rodriguez Gorrin joined Motherwell last summer and quickly impressed as he operated in a role in front of the back four, ending the campaign with the highest number of interceptions per 90 minutes in Europe with 9.75 per game.
After signing for Motherwell last summer, he said: "I like to tackle and be aggressive, but I like to have the ball as well. I know in Scotland you like to attack, and it's something I can do as well.
"Short term, I want to adjust to a new league and it will be different, maybe more physical. Then I'll see after that. I will take it step by step, get pre-season under my belt and then have a good season."
You may also want to watch:
Prior to moving to Scotland, the globe-trotting midfielder played for Sepsi Sfântu Gheorghe in Romania, Boavista in Portugal and Wellington Phoenix, the New Zealand side who play in Australia's A League.
He was a youth team player at Sunderland prior to that, having initially played his football on the island of Tenerife.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 10 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
Ipswich are well stocked in central midfield, with Cole Skuse, Flynn Downes, Teddy Bishop, Jon Nolan, Tristan Nydam and Andre Dozzell all contracted, while Emyr Huws is still battling for full fitness due to an ongoing knee issue.