Alviro Petersen signs for Essex
ESSEX have signed South African batsman Alviro Petersen for the first half of the 2012 season.
The signing, which is subject to confirmation from Cricket South Africa, will see the 31-year-old available for Essex until the LV= County Championship match against Northamptonshire.
The former Glamorgan captain has played 10 Test matches for South Africa and has become Essex’s third signing for the 2012 season and joins compatriots, Charl Willoughby and Greg Smith.
Paul Grayson, the Essex head coach, said: “It is very exciting that we can bring in Alviro to the club as he is an experienced county cricketer.
“Obviously he has played against us many times before and he hit a good 100 for Glamorgan when we went to the SWALEC Stadium last season. He will certainly bring his vast knowledge, experience and leadership in the game to the squad.
“We are all very happy to be able to add someone of Petersen’s quality to the squad for the first half of the season, featuring in eight LV= County Championship and four Clydesdale Bank 40 games.
“We will be looking to get off to a good start in front of the Chelmsford crowd v Gloucestershire and for Alviro, he will certainly be looking to have a successful time with us to secure a place in South Africa’s Test squad to face England later in the year.”
- 1 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 Police cordon off Felixstowe town centre car park after incident
- 3 Body of man found in Saxmundham
- 4 Company fined nearly £4k for further food hygiene breaches
- 5 Three suspected cases of Omicron at Bury St Edmunds schools
- 6 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 7 Five players that could help change Town's fortunes at Wigan
- 8 'I apologise for the misunderstanding' - Nsiala issues statement
- 9 Watch: Stowupland Falcons football pitches damaged by driver
- 10 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job