Ambrose forced to miss out
DARREN Ambrose has missed out on his first taste of Champions' League football, because he didn't answer his phone, writes Derek Davis.Newcastle United boss Sir Bobby Robson tried to contact the former Ipswich Town favourite after Hugo Viana was forced to pull out of the trip to Belgrade with a back spasm.
DARREN Ambrose has missed out on his first taste of Champions' League football, because he didn't answer his phone, writes Derek Davis.
Newcastle United boss Sir Bobby Robson tried to contact the former Ipswich Town favourite after Hugo Viana was forced to pull out of the trip to Belgrade with a back spasm.
The Toon manager first tried to bring in Clarence Acuna only to find out he had an Achilles injury. He then called Ambrose to join the squad but as he has only just recovered from injury and had already been told he was not required, the England under-21 winger had gone out and left his mobile phone at home.
Robson said: “It would have been a great experience for the lad but he didn't answer his phone, so it is his hard luck. He called me back in the end but by then it was too late. He is still not fully fit, but he is not too far away.”
Robson even tried to include former Colchester United star Lomana Lua Lua but his visa had not arrived in time, so the Magpies finally drafted in Robbie Elliott.
Newcastle will face a hostile crowd at Partisan Belgrade tonight but that will not bother experienced former England captain Alan Shearer who celebrates his 33rd birthday today.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 7 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 8 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 9 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 10 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates