Andre Dozzell left speechless after scoring on his Ipswich Town debut, aged 16, to follow in the footsteps of his father Jason
Teenager Andre Dozzell was left speechless after scoring on his Ipswich Town debut, as he emulated his father Jason’s achievement.
Aged just 16 years and 350 days, Dozzell came off the bench at Hillsborough to head Ipswich Town’s equaliser at Sheffield Wednesday, a little over 32 years since his father Jason scored on his Ipswich debut, also aged 16, against Coventry in 1984.
The younger Dozzell admitted he didn’t know what to do when as he ran off to celebrate in front of the away fans, which included his father, before insisting it was a moment he will never forget.
“I’m a bit speechless right now,” the youngster told the club website.
“When I scored I really didn’t know what to do but I’ve been at this club for seven years so to make my debut and get a goal was unbelievable.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s exactly what my dad did as well, made his debut and scored at sixteen, so I’m extremely proud of that.
“I haven’t managed to look at my phone yet but I’m sure I’ll have a few messages from everyone. My dad was here today in the crowd so hopefully I’ll see him afterwards and hopefully he’ll be proud of me.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 7 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 8 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 9 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 10 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
“It was my goal at the start of the season to break into the first-team so to get my chance and to score was a moment I won’t forget.”