Angry Brad Quinton criticises ‘unacceptable’ Braintree Town as Royston force FA Cup replay

Braintree force early pressure against Royston in the FA Cup.

Braintree force early pressure against Royston in the FA Cup. - Credit: Archant

Braintree Town were surprisingly held 2-2 by Evo-Stik South Premier side, Royston Town, on Saturday afternoon at Cressing Road.

Scott Bridges gave the visitors a 22nd-minute lead from close range, after some poor defending from Iron, and the hosts were then given two let-offs when Adam Marriott forced a great save out of Nathan McDonald, before Jack Vasey headed wide, unmarked.

Iron did get themselves back in the game on 52 minutes when substitute Luke Allen scored from close range after great work down the left by Billy Crook.

Eight minutes later Braintree took the lead when a Phil Roberts shot came back off the foot of the left-hand post and Karl Oliyide was quickest to react and rifle home into the net.

However, on 67 minutes, another Iron defensive lapse saw tricky ex-Lincoln City striker Marriott cut in from the left and fire home an angled shot into the net.

You may also want to watch:

A minute later the Iron should have taken the lead. Oliyide made a great right-wing run to the byline and pulled the ball back into the path of Tyler Campbell who, inexplicably, six yards out – and with an empty goal staring at him – managed to sky the ball over the bar which perhaps summed up the home side’s performance.

The game continued to ebb and flow with both sides having chances to snatch a late winner and the visitors’ cause was not helped on 83 minutes when they were reduced to 10 men, left-back Romelle Alomenu being shown a second yellow card for a foul, 45 seconds after his first yellow.

Most Read

Braintree failed to capitalise and now have to face a tricky replay at Garden Walk tomorrow.

Braintree manager, Brad Quinton said: “Our first half performance was a shambles and although we improved a bit in the second half. Overall it was a poor display – our worst this season.

“We are still in the competition and we have a chance to put things right in Tuesday’s replay. And we certainly will.”

Quinton added: “In the first half we had no urgency, created no pressure on the opposition, had no tenacity and no real commitment and then when we did take the lead, we shot ourselves in the foot defensively.

“It’s certainly not the standard we’ve set at the club – the overall performance was unacceptable.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus